Frequently Asked Questions
What is a workplace giving campaign?
A workplace giving campaign coordinated by Community Shares of Mid Ohio allows employees to make gifts to non-profits through payroll contributions. Payroll contributions allow:
- Most people to give more than they could with a one-time gift.
- Everyone to invest in their community.
- People to spread their gift out over a year.
- Donors to choose the non-profits they want to support.
- Donations to be made to more than one charity.
How do charities qualify for Community Shares funding?
Community Shares' member charities must comply with a number of accountability requirements.
- Must provide programs and services to the community and show that they have a demonstrated base of support and community involvement
- Funded charities must be at least 2 years old
- Be recognized by the IRS as a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization
- Submit annual financial information, including the IRS 990 and, if applicable, audits
- Be registered and file annually with the Ohio Attorney General's Office
- Be governed by a volunteer board of directors
Why should we introduce a workplace giving campaign?
Payroll contributions make giving easy and offer donors a wide range of charitable choices. Studies show that the average donor contributes three to five times as much through a payroll donation than through outside individual contributions. Campaigns also offer an opportunity to educate donors about local charities and volunteer opportunities. We live and work in a hectic world and workplace, campaigns reach out to people who might not have an opportunity to be involved in other ways.
What if we don't have a campaign? How is one started?
You already have payroll deduction, a process for things like medical benefits and retirement costs, so it is easy to include paycheck donations. We tailor the campaign to your employees in a way that best fits the needs of your organization. All contribution information is confidential unless the donor indicates otherwise.
Do we need a minimum number of employees to start a campaign?
Community Shares of Mid Ohio values all workplaces, regardless of the number of employees. We are happy to work with any size company to create a workplace giving campaign at their location.
Are my donations tax deductible?
Yes, all donations through payroll contribution are tax deductible to the extent allowed by law. Community Shares and all of its member charities MUST be tax-exempt 501(c)(3) organizations.